Sunday 4 September 2011

Spaghetti Bolognese; It'll get more exciting, I promise!!

You gotta try something before you decide
 you don't like it. Aw I ruined the ending
I kind of feel I've got to go through all the basic recipes that I use all the time first. Then I promise I'll be challenging and exciting and probably fatter. Spag Bol. "Boring" I hear you say. But look, I still from time to time google a spag bol recipe, just to see how everyone else does it. I actually haven't a clue if my recipe is authentic or not, but it's mine and I like it. Mothers have discovered it's a great way to camouflage veggies....to be honest, I'm not a great veg eater my self so the camouflage is as much for me as for my four year old.....

Let kids get involved



Speaking of picky eaters, my four yr old boy TJ despises mushrooms. But I always put them in. That's not being a bad mother....Jeanie mackers, what kind of life will he have if he won't eat mushrooms. He'll come around eventually. I even went out and bought 'Green Eggs & Ham' to drill home that you can't decide on something unless you try it. I'm 30 and only embraced Horseradish sauce last year. Now I totally get it.





Spaghetti Bolognese,
a favourite in everyone's house. Here's mine:

Contrary to popular
belief, plonk is not
 acceptable to use
 when cooking
Glug of olive oil
500g best quality round mince
1 large onion, finely diced
2 fat cloves of garlic crushed
1 carrot, grated
1 stalk of celery, finely diced
half a courgette, chopped
a handful of mushrooms, chopped
2 or three slices of streaky bacon if you have it, chopped
One large glass of red wine, minus a sup
2 tins of tomatoes, chopped (try and stay clear of the 'value' brands...they are insipid in colour & flavour)
2 generous table spoons of homemade pesto (coz you've made that, right?)



Method
I like to fry my mince (and bacon if you want) first in a hot pan heated with the oil. I love that nutty flavour when the mince is sealed. Once you get that nutty crust, turn heat down and add the veg. (again, I almost always would use my magimix here, I'd prob do at least double the recipe for batch freezing)

Undercover Vegetables...



Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables soften completely, add in the wine and cook on a high heat until the alcohol has burned off. Add in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer Turn down to lowest possible heat and let simmer for about 45 mins. I know some recipes let simmer for 2 hours or so, but my personal choice is I don't like to reduce the bejaysus out of it. That's me. Finish with the pesto and season to your liking. Top with lots of grated Parmesan and serve with spaghetti and garlic bread and bibs.
The one and only, Spaghetti Bolognese




1 comment:

  1. This looks scrummy Helena. Spaghetti bolognese is a great staple and the recipe sounds gorgeous. Pics look fab too. I look forward to trying it out soon!

    ReplyDelete