Monday 23 January 2012

Spiced Banana & Walnut bread


Right, and so it appears I have a baking addiction. Typical, as I'm trying to shift a stone. I find when I'm down, stressed, happy or sad, the kitchen is where I need to be. Today my mood is off. I'm down in the dumps a bit and when I decided to bake my mood took an upturn. My mam told me she had black bananas so excitedly I got in the car and took a spin to the folks to retrieve the said overripe fruits. The blacker the better, k?


So Banana bread. In my opinion, it'd got to be so moist bursting with banana goodness and this recipe certainly is. I've adapted a basic recipe adding some spices and the walnuts give it a nice earthy element. Of  course, I adore muscavdo sugar in baking as I love the richness it brings. 


I love this bread with some butter,  and a cuppa tea, but a friend suggested I toast it, top it with a bacon and a poached egg. It's different, but it works, trust us.


Spiced Banana & walnut bread
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius 
Grease a loaf tin

Don't bin 'em! celebrate black bananas with my
spiced Banana and Walnut Bread
Ingredients
9 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon 
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 oz butter, soft
6 oz dark brown muscavado sugar
2 eggs
4 large over ripe mashed bananas
4 oz walnut pieces (I'd like to say 1/4's as halves are too big and I don't like to chop them too small either)


Method



In a large bowl combine the all the dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, cream the sugar and the butter. 
Whisk the eggs and add the butter and sugar mixture, along with the vanilla extract and mashed bananas. Mix well.


Sir wet batter through the dry mix and combine well. (have a taste of the batter, it's oooooh so good)




Pour mixture into greased loaf tin and bake in preheated oven for 60 mins. If a toothpick or skewer comes out clean, it's ready.


Allow to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes. Then turn out on a wire rack.








NB-All funds for my baking addiction will be gratefully accepted. 


There's cake in it for you.





1 comment:

  1. Helena, you very kindly shared this recipe with me a while ago, and it went down a treat. Don't know if you remember that, but it was when I asked on twitter for ideas for using up "ready-to-bin" bananas. Great to see you posted the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete