Friday 6 April 2012

Roast Fillet of Pork with Sage and Orange

I wasn't a lover of pork. I simply didn't 'get' it. To me, it had no distinctive flavour or attributes. The problem was any time I had it cooked for me it was most likely overcooked and not given any special TLC. I picked up a fillet of Pork in my local supermarket recently as it was good value and decided to see if I could tackle my pork demons. Not only did I bury them but I can safely say I discovered something wickedly awesome with this dish. I scour the Internet when researching a dish, pairing flavours that I think will work. I had sage growing in the garden and a bowl full of juicy oranges....and so this Helena Pork Classic was born. I was wowed by the porks juiciness, incredible taste and complimenting flavours. 


Try it, it's impressive and embarrassingly easy.








Ingredients
1 Pork Fillet
I big Juicy Orange, sliced
Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
Bunch of fresh sage leaves


For the Jus
One glass of wine
3 slices of the Roasted Orange
1 Tablespoon spoon of muscavdo sugar (or regular if you have no muscavdo)
5 tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
good knob of butter


(The quantities for the jus are from memory as I tend to taste my way through cooking. Feel free to add a little less sugar or a little more vinegar, what you want at the end is a sweet and slightly tangy orangy syrupy drizzle)



Preheat the oven to 220 degrees


Method 


1. On a roasting tray, arrange orange slices in a line, overlapping half ways


2. Rub the pork fillet liberally with the mustard, and season lightly


3. Lay the pork fillet on top, and cover with sage leaves (They will stick to the mustard)


4. Drizzle with a little Olive Oil, and put into preheated oven for 15 minutes.


5. Take out and wrap the pork in tinfoil


For the Jus


1. In a pot, fire in all the ingredients listed under 'For the Jus"


2. Boil the bejaysus out of it until it's well reduced and the alcohol is burnt off.


3. Sieve it, and then add the knob of butter for a nice glossy finish 




To serve
Slice the pork one in inch thick rounds, place three slices of orange on a warmed plate, top with pork slices, drizzle with jus and throw a few sage leaves on top. 


I served with with creamy mashed potatoes, tender stem broccoli and pureed wholegrain mustard carrots. 


Why not do this for Easter? This dish is so easy, quick, reasonably priced and tastes like you got it in a posh restaurant. 

3 comments:

  1. Yep, pork is always overcooked. For tender cuts, I always do it medium rare; it's the only way to preserve any semblence of taste and juiciness given that all the fat has been bred out of most commercial breeds of pig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post .i hope everybody will like your post

    ReplyDelete